I have the honor and privilege to recommend some of California’s most talented and skilled individuals for selection to the four service academies that require nominations: the U.S. Air Force Academy, the U.S. Naval Academy, the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, and the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.
I am accepting nomination applications for the Class of 2024 between April 1st and October 25th. The deadline to submit applications is 11:59 PM PST on Friday, October 25, 2019.
Each applicant requesting a nomination must meet the basic eligibility requirements set forth by the service academies:
- Must be at least 17 years old, but not have passed their 23rd birthday (25th birthday for the Merchant Marine Academy);
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and legal resident of California;
- Must be unmarried;
- Must not be pregnant and have no legal obligation to provide financial support for children or other dependents; and
- Must be qualified to commit to a minimum of five years of active duty service upon graduation from an Academy
My office requires the following materials in order to consider your request for a nomination:
- An official transcript from all high schools, junior colleges, or universities you have attended;
- An official copy of your SAT and / or ACT score. Please have them submitted electronically and sent directly to my Los Angeles office (c/o Roberto Gama). For SAT scores, the code is 0246 and for ACT scores, the code is 7109;
- An essay of approximately 500 words highlighting your commitment to attend a service academy;
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals that know you well and can attest to your moral character and achievements;
- A resume in order to highlight certain extracurricular activities;
- Self-addressed stamped postcard (that will be immediately returned guaranteeing receipt of your packet).
There is no application form needing to be downloaded and filled out. The above mentioned items are what constitutes a complete application packet.
How to send all documents:
All documents must be sent via regular mail and must be placed in a sealed envelope. No electronic submissions will be considered. Again, the deadline to submit applications is 11:59 PM PST on Friday, October 25, 2019 and please note that this is not a postmark date. Your completed packet must be sent to my Los Angeles office:
Office of Congressman Jimmy Gomez
C/o Military Academy Nominations
350 South Bixel Street
Los Angeles, CA 90017
In addition to submitting a packet to my office for nomination, it is also your responsibility to complete and submit the admissions application to your academy or academies of choice prior to their listed deadline in order to ensure that the institution(s) opens an admissions file for you. For general inquiries regarding this step in the process, you may contact the academies:
Air Force: 1-719-333-2520
Merchant Marines: 1-800-732-6267
The U.S. Coast Guard Academy no longer requires a Congressional nomination for appointment. Applications must therefore be made directly to the Academy.
Securing a nomination from my office does not guarantee an appointment (i.e. offer of admission). It is at the ultimate discretion of each respective Academy to make the final, culminating decision. You are therefore encouraged to apply for as many nominations as you may be eligible. As a matter of courtesy, I do ask that you inform my office if you are seeking a nomination with another Congressional or Senatorial office.
For all inquiries directed to my office, please reach out via email at email@example.com or contact my Los Angeles office at (213) 481-1425.